Skip to main content

Somewhere in the World there is an OFW

Anywhere in the world it’s no longer unusual to see Filipinos, from east to west, south to north. OFWs are everywhere and somewhere in the world there are stories untold. Somewhere in Kuwait there is a mother crying and longing for her children she left back in the Philippines; does his husband cares? If he is busy with the other woman. Somewhere on an oil platform a man restless, trying to call on his wife’s mobile phone and no answers, where could she be? Perhaps in a place so private even the writer have no access.


Somewhere in Hong Kong a middle-aged woman is cleaning the toilet while tending for three hyper-active children, with her callused hands that hurt at night, she’ll just comfort herself in reading “Text” from home on her roaming phone but her children are so busy cutting classes and club-hopping that they forgot about their longing mother. Somewhere in Canada a young man care-giving for an old man with an “attitude”, taking all the harsh words and the belittling remarks so he could send enough money to his family back home. Does his father (boastfully betting inside a cock-fighting arena) know about it?

I could go on but I guess I already made a point. I can bet that majority of OFWs left the country for one reason only. Provide a decent life if not better for their love ones. My concern is... Do their families know about their sacrifices, the hardships and sometimes the almost unbearable “homesickness”? Who care for them when they are sick themselves? The problem sometimes is that some children of OFWs have the tendency to rebel saying that they are left behind by their parents and material things aren’t enough. Probably true but did they ever think that if it’s only possible to support their studies without their parents leaving the country, they would go abroad?...Hell no! I know the Dilemma of leaving family to work away from home.

To all those who have family members abroad that may be able to read this, please bear in mind that what they need is understanding, appreciation and reward them with “Diplomas” for those who are in college right now. For the partners that stayed home, do your part; take care of the kids and not your vices. And for parents with their children abroad, remember sooner or later they will make their own families so stop boasting about your son in Iraq and start saving money in the bank. Better yet get that Mobile Phone and start composing the sweetest message you could possibly make. Make them happy with your words of appreciation and thank them for the money they send you which they earn through sweat and blood.

If in any way this article offended you or anyone you know, please bear in mind that it was intended by the author to be as such. And if you feel you were the one being mentioned on this article, kudos for the author, his target was accurate.

Comments

  1. I grew up without my parents. My mom left for work abroad, my dad left me for good for idk what and why. What I don't understand is why they have to start a family they can't support. I have so much hatred inside my heart. I understand my mom's sacrifices but i never felt what love is while growing up with my mom telling me to study hard so I will take care of her when shes old and she never even took care of me as a child. I have always been obedient as a child, as a teen to the point that I was never given a choice how to live my life. Now that I'm an adult, I still have to be dictated who to date, and that I need to date a rich man. My upbringing affects who I am today. I guess I'm not as lucky as other ofw's children. I am with my mom now, and it hurts getting pulled away from the people who raised me and now I have to start being a child again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much pain in you. I just hope that everything will be alright. You're unfortunate to be abandoned by your father and be left by your mom to work abroad. I couldn't comment more as I'm trying to avoid making assumptions. You said you are an adult now. I guess not even your mom can decide for you on how to live your life. Better talk to her and tell your mom how you really feel about everything. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little hard to judge people. But as a person outside looking in, I think there are a lot of sacrifices that are not rewarded. BUT there are those that are rewarded and almost miraculously this feeds to the urban legend of "greener pastures". It all boils down to the main characters in the story. It all boils down on how we handle the cards that were dealt. I have an aunt who got the jackpot of the worse things that can happen to an OFW. Her husband cheated more than once, he has a younger girlfriend now, her eldest daughter got knocked up and has a son, her youngest daughter didn't attend classes for a semester and used her tuition fee money for other things, and she doesn't have a home to go back to when she retires from many years in Hong Kong. It's sad and there is a lot of finger-pointing that happens. But there are just things that are beyond our control. But I know how one sms from the Philippines can lift her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you Pinay. I really feel so sorry for your aunt.I hope she's coping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somewhere in the world, there's one ofw who decided to write this post and inspire change. :) Your thoughts are very much real. Continue to write, and who knows, many will be one with us. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere in the world there's an OFW who dream of a happy life, A life that could give a legacy worth to remember.

    Somewhere in the world there's an OFW who against all odds take the courage to triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very much inspired with these words written here. I am also an OFW here in KSA. Im 22 years old. I decided to go abroad because I want to help my parents in raising my brothers and sister. Also to help in the daily expenses. I am self-sacrificing for them. Thats what I want because I want to pay back all their sacrifices for me when I am still studying. I can say now that self-sacrifice is the true measure of giving. Angat Pinoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time that my we will be separated from my husband for Christmas. We dont know what we will do and we will definitely miss him. But since we love him so much, all we do is pray every night for his health, safety and success. If Dada can read this, we love you sooo much! Not a day passes that we do not miss you. But we understand that you have to do what you have to do not only for yourself but also for us. In God's perfect time, I know we will be together again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom works abroad -she has been working abroad for almost 20 years (I'm 17 now)-so we could have a comfortable life. I was raised by my grandparents, since my Japanese father never really liked or moreover, loved us; therefore, ultimately leaving us when I was very young. It was really hard growing up with only the telephone as the bridge with my mom, but I am really thankful that I have a had-working and loving mother. I promised her that her efforts would not go to waste -I'll finish college, get a good job, and we'll make up with the time when we were apart.
    So to the family members of OFWs:
    Please learn to appreciate the efforts of your OFW relative. Being an OFW is no joke- you get to experience different kinds of hardships in a foreign land with your family away from you. Also, money doesn't grow on trees; They earn it the hard way. So please, finish your studies. Make your parents proud. Be thankful. Do what you need to do. Tell them you love them. Do not take them for granted. Appreciate.

    To the writer of this article: You certainly hit it right. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all OFW Kids would think the way you think, every retiring OFW would go home with so much happiness and pride.

      Delete
    2. I believe that most of us kids want to make their parents proud, right? It saddens me to hear stories of OFW kids wasting their life away here in the Philippines while their parents are working their heads off abroad. I hope I would be able to achieve my goals in life so my mom would be so happy and proud.
      I read your profile and I saw that you're based in Qatar. Good luck to you, Kuya. Your family must be so lucky.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.