Skip to main content

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!).There's no place like home - Living Abroad:

For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 500 to 700 depending on what I prepare for my meal. I don't even want to know what he or she may be eating on every meal. Just the thought makes me feel bad but for the sake of their loved ones back in the Philippines they are willing to take and bear everything.

On my way home for my vacation last March an older man whom I curiously asked about his age, he answered me with a naughty smile on his face saying "65 na ako pero 55 lang ang nakalagay sa passport ko." (I am 65 years old but, on my passport, it shows that I am only 55). My curiosity was evoked further, I asked him "paano nangyari yon kuya?" He answered in detail, but I won't divulge that as token of my respect for him and gratitude for trusting a stranger like me. Then I nodded but my curiosity is at its peak by now. I can't help but ask him why at his age he is still working abroad, he simply replied "pinapaaral ko pa mga apo ko eh". Twenty years Overseas and have lived more than a half century of his life yet he cannot retire. He is one example of OFW's that are working outside of the country almost half of their lives and still cannot afford to have a good life back home.

I guess only few OFW's really retire rich, with enough money to sustain and support them in living their remaining biological lives. For different and various reasons Filipinos abroad cannot even save ample amount upon their retirement to enjoy. Their investments are with their children, children's children and the rest of the clan for their education.

But I don't want to end this article on a sad note. I do have friends who are stock-filing Land Titles and have established thriving businesses in the Philippines. Sometimes it really depends on the individual. Others know how to save for their future and others just know how to spend their earnings. Now if I may ask my fellow OFW's. "Are you one of the great spenders or one of the few who know how to value money earned through sweat, blood and river of tears?

Comments

  1. i think i'm on the latter part Kuya Ronnie… an eye opener for those who overlooked thier OFW lives…

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me, I am still stuck at the middle. Thanks Psalmist for dropping by..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us break the fallacy about OFWs (like me).

    OFWs are not rich but are not poor either, in monetary terms.

    What really lacking on us is proper mindset.

    OFW are not rich in attitude but poor in knowledge, knowledge in growing our money while we are still abroad.

    For example, my Tatay was an OFW in Saudi for 20years and retired 5 years ago. I was proud finishing school because of "katas ng Saudi".

    If you are not aware, education system (like what we have in Philippines) is focus on one major flaw. It teaches us to be the BEST AMONG THE REST as a "good employee".

    Just a year ago, i meet my financial mentor and discovered a different approach.

    Acquire the right financial education and have the right strategy in accumulating wealth.

    School and Professional education system has teach us to "work for the money" while Financial education teach us to "let money work for you"

    See relate article here http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=345188348578&topic=14711

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many ways to save and invest only if we know these options... In our country for example, insurance program that focuses more on investment will only need you to invest at least 2,000php and you only need to do this for the next five years and you have accumulated wealth already...For your investment and insurance planning needs, visit my fan page at www.facebook.com/albertalcance

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more, Kuya.. Meron talagang ideya tayong mga Pilipino, na kapag OFW.. eh madatung na. Siguro nga ay tama.. dahil sa dolyares ang kinikita. Pero ang hindi alam ng karamihan, dala ng kita doon sa malalayong lugar, eh kaakibat rin nito ang hirap at sakripisyo.

    Oo, meron talagang mga tao na dahil nga nakapagtrabaho sa abroad, eh nakapag retire at namumuhay ng maginhawa. Pero meron din namang kahit na ilang taon na bilang isang OFW, eh kayod pa rin nang kayod kasi hindi pa nakakaahon sa kahirapan.

    Hay.. ang hirap ng buhay OFW. Ako ay isang OFW kid, kuya.. anak at kapatid ng OFWs. Kaya nang mapadaan ako dito sa inyong blog, eh di napigilang mag comment. Hehehe...

    Sana po ay makapunta ka rin sa aking blog. Meron din akong naisulat about sa buhay OFW.. "PEBA entry.. kuno"

    Gndang araw.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes many think that ofw's being "rich" is because they have this purchasing power..especially during their vacations. they start rolling down the airport w/ their huge balikbayan boxes of soap, corned beef & what have you's. then as they head home, they treat the whole block w/ drinks galore. the next day, they take the whole family (immediate & extended) to a shopping spree at SM & of course, the rest of his 30-day vacation is spent spending money. now is rich? nope!

    rich people does not only have spending money, but they have capital money. meaning savings, investments, & other income generating assets. hell the only capital ofw's have are their warm bodies being exploited by arab employers!

    most ofw's are spenders who after paying for household bills, goes out splurging themselves w/ unnecessary expenses like cellphones, branded clothing, etc. & very little goes into savings.

    ofw's are consumerist. not capitalist. they will stay that way until their bodies gives up & could no longer work their butt off which is why you can see senior citizens still working abroad as ofw's.

    most of them, do not know how to escape from this life... until its too late & no money is left in the bank. oh well, kuya is there to support them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous

    Anonymous, you have a point, how I wish you could have left or have used any of your social profile to make your opinion more credible.

    I have written a related article with your opinion entitled Savings???

    ReplyDelete
  8. ako, as a 25 year old ex- abroad ofw.
    BSBA muna.
    bisyo, sugal, babae, at alak...

    Ang hirap magtrabaho noh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. your blog is filled with useful info for OFWs. so happy that you are the 1st guest blogger in our site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is an honor to be one of your guest blogger. I hope readers of this blog won't take it against me for not being able to update it regularly as I don't just post for the sake of posting :).

    I want this blog to be of an inspiring one for my fellow OFWs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaya nga ang iba natatakot ng umuwi dahil ayaw niya na ang pamilya ay balik sa turoturo na kainan or ayaw siyang pauwiin dahil natatakot sila na wala ng dolyar na matatanggap kada buwan... kailangan kung kakain ay sa mga mamahalin na pangalan...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmmm,inaaprubahan lamang ba ang mga magagandang kumento d2?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Czar, kailangan ko lang filter ang mga comment, may mga spammer na naglalagay ng link sa mga di ka nais-nais na mga sites.. pasensya na kung minsan natatgalan bago ko ma-check ang email ko.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was an OFW before, and I've earned money for my family, especially for my hubby, and my 1 yr old kid at that time. I've cried a river of tears, because of missing them, so much. Only to find out, that my hubby was sleeping with different girls, and impregnate a civil friend of mine. I don't know what to do at that moment, but I decided to go back here in our country, and it was rough. But, after 2 years of us being together again, I feel like we have solved the problem. I hope so. I just dont like him to admit about the unknown kid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello there!

    I am inspired sa mga stories about OFW. Can you guys post some good stories about OFW in Hongkong? its just that I need more inspiration stories. I've heard Hongkong employers are fun of termination towards an au-pair or nanny? How true is that? My papers are on process na kasi puntang Hongkong as a domestic helper doon at malaki na ang na expense ko for the requirements and other trainings, natatakut ako na baka pag dating ko doon, kapag di ako magostuhan ng host ko they'll easily dump me and send me back in Philps na di man lang naka save.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.