Skip to main content

OFW Success Story (Eden Zaniega de Castro-Villa)

Eden Zaniega de Castro-Villa, who had worked in Hongkong as a household service worker (HSW) to earn dollars for her family in La Union, is now generating much bigger income from her handicraft business, which was expanded with the financial assistance from the Overseas Workers Welfare Association (OWWA).

“After working overseas, I decided to go home and open a small school and office supplies and craft store,” shared Eden, who also at the same time was engaged in silk farming.


For OFWs, this is the kind of story that keeps us motivated to dream. The story of Eden Zaniega re-invigorates my enthusiasm to go on. It gives me hope that someday I too can succeed on my future plans after retiring as an OFW (Overworked Filipino Worker) Oops! I mean Overseas Filipino Worker (smile). Being away from home just to provide for the family is not the life I have imagined of having when I got married. I wanted a simple yet comfortable life "living with my family" not "leaving my family behind". But for obvious reasons I had to find a greener pasture to be able to provide a better life for my two kids which are single-handedly being raised by my young lovely wife.


I’m on my fourth week of my vacation here in the Philippines and being with them makes me forget all the trials I have endured abroad. There are no dull moments particularly when I’m with my young kid, my son Kyro who keeps me laughing with his innocent queries and for his age, at 4 years old, It makes me wonder how he became so “pilosopo” and so intuitive that sometimes I run out of explanations when we are kind of debating. My daughter Kekoa on the other hand continues to make me a proud Daddy by being the top of her class for 3 consecutive years. Oh sorry, I just got carried away, going back to the story of Eden. She, like Agnes Marrero have proven that if we want to achieve something, we can do so if we are focus and are willing to do the extra mile in realizing our visions.

I know some OFWs that will read this post would just shrug it off, smile with sarcasm and would utter “this guy is delusional”. Am I? I don’t think so. Time and again there are individuals who have made it and succeeded because they wanted to be free from the “chain” the chain of the resigned. What I mean with that is almost all OFWs have settled to the idea of continuously working and keep on remitting until thy Kingdom come but when the retirement comes... Hell of a life waits for them. No Savings, in a matter of one year all the assets that have been acquired in years will be sold, friends decrease in numbers, your neighbour that used to brag about you during the heyday would start to tell people in your neighbourhood how pathetic you are. Would you risk of living in hell here on earth or will you take that rough road towards success and be in heaven here on earth after retirement?

Choices that we make today will define our future. Choices made by Eden Zaniega and Agnes Marrero took them where they are right now. As I always say on this blog.. The power is in us, the opportunity is there. It is a matter of what you would do with that power and those opportunities.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing another success story, and this time about Eden Zaniega. You are not delusional. If you do not know how to dream, then you do not know how to live :) Don't listen to naysayers :) I remember blogging about that a long time ago - "Some People You Shouldn't Listen To": http://ahapedia.com/blog/2010/04/25/some-people-you-shouldnt-listen-to/

    Anyway, thanks for dropping a comment on one of my blogposts and for linking to my FILkada Blog on your blog. Such an honor, I wasn't expecting it. Keep up the good work, keep on dreaming, and I look forward to the day when you open up your negosyo one day :) DO KEEP US POSTED :) I'm tracking :)

    Aloha,
    Jaz
    http://filkada.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Thanks for adding me on G+. Katamad pa ang G+ for now compared to FB or pure blogging. Anyway, my blog made 2 weeks today and I posted my 2nd FILkada video message. I mentioned your blog there, specifically the inspirational stories you've shared like the one above.

    Here is the link to the post: http://ahapedia.com/filkada/2011/07/13/filkada-video-message-week-2/

    ReplyDelete
  3. another inspiring story! thanks for keeping them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5