Skip to main content

Uncertainties (Story of My Life In Qatar)

Qatar Airways A333 A7-AEHImage via Wikipedia
I dreamt, I came, I worked and now I am lost.

I came here in Qatar with all the hopes and aspirations for my family, knowing that somehow I have to sacrifice things that will surely hit me whenever I’m alone. The first month was the most difficult as I am still trying to convince myself that this is a new country, new laws, new culture and different work ethics, in short culture shock in its worst. Unfamiliarity makes you feel uncomfortable, uncertainties makes you tremble with fears, and adjustment bites every piece of you.

Then came my first interview, lacking in knowledge regarding salary range and wanting to start as soon as possible, I have committed the common mistakes in bargaining for my salary. When asked of how much I am expecting, I just told my would be boss 3 thousand sir, and his face illuminated and told me start tomorrow, and as a sign of goodwill your accommodation will be provided and so as your transport. I thought I hit the jackpot, only after a week that I have learned that the person I have relieved of the position was earning 5 thousand who happens to be a Filipino also. It was my boss who hit the jackpot.

On the day that I have transferred to my accommodation, only then I have noticed that I will be living inside a box called porta cabin, and the kitchen is 150 meters away from where I sleep, the CR has no bowl and shared among hundreds of employees. And Then I realized that I am way too far from my friends in Doha, It was in Industrial area where sandstorm is very common, then homesick came in, few hours sleep, not being able to eat as much, and non stop thinking made me lost 12 kilos in a month (no exaggerations). So I decided to go back to the city of Doha to find a job so I can be with my friends, and I did find. Disregarding that I’ll be earning less I took the job.

The first 3 months was good as I am earning enough and being able to fight off the homesickness..Then the misfortune hit me, salary delayed until finally not having at all for 3 months.. Then my nightmare started, with no savings because I am sending almost all of my monthly salaries to my family back home. There came a point that I can’t even buy a soda worth 1 Riyal, I sold everything that of value to pay my room rent, Cup Noodles became my staple food until finally ran out. Still blessed, my roommates provided me during the times that I really don’t have anything to eat.

The fourth month came, still no salaries but with a good news from the management announcing that they are giving NOC’s for all those who want to work for other companies..And so I job hunt under the scorching heat of the sun I walked through all possible companies along the way with several copies of my CV at hand. And waited for any of the dozens of companies to call me for interview but to no avail..Frustrations sets in along with homesickness, I almost gave up and lost my sanity, good thing friends are always there to make me feel that I am not alone.

Then a friend, an office mate with my previous company told me to come to his new office as he was able to find a new and better job, and so the next day I carried my bag with all the necessary documents in it, I walked 3 kilometers just to be there, not even sure of an interview, fortunately the GM knows me as he was also from my previous company. He saw me and called me in his office..He only asked one question..Can you work as a secretary, so I replied saying so many things to impress him but he cut it off and asked yes or no? Who wouldn’t say no? Right then and there I started my first day on my new job.

Then Qatar revised the sponsorship law. That’s when my 3rd nightmare came about. I cannot transfer sponsorship because I haven’t finished 2 years on my previ0us company..Penalties became stiffer, monetary wise with jail terms. I decided to stay in my room instead of going to work as I am afraid of what may come if I am caught, also our GM told us not to come because of the crackdown. Suddenly I am out of work.

Uncertainties now dwell in my mind, asking myself what now? Where to go from here? What can I do? What’s keeping me intact now is the thought that my life is no longer mine alone but for my kids and my wife who depend on me, so no matter how hard, no matter how difficult, I must go on and try to fix things that need to be fixed..I know there is always a rainbow after the storm and even on a cloudy day the sun will peep even for a second or so.

After two years.....

I did find the rainbow... On my second Homecoming (Pagbabalik-bayan) . No matter how hard for as long as your motivation to go on through the hardships are your love ones, nothing can be so unbearable.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Gandang halimbawa po... pagpatuloy nating mga OFW po ito... =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.