Skip to main content

Dilemma of an OFW

Photo by www.flicker.com


It was never my intention to leave my family especially my son who is just turning 2 years old this December. I left during the time that he was about to call me “dada”, when he almost about to realize who I am to him, but all those precious moments I can never have with my son, not anymore as I am here in Qatar working to earn money that I cannot get from my motherland.

I left my young and beautiful wife to take care of our two precious children, my daughter who is the top of her class always is asking me, “when will you go home Daddy?”. How can I call my self a family man, when all I can do now is to provide for them. Maybe 5 years from now I’ll become a stranger to my own children even to my wife.

My only refuge is my belief that someday I don’t have to work as far as I am now, that I will be able to establish a decent business which will be enough to carry us through. Which I guess is the dream of everyone like me working abroad… At least I have something to look forward to so I can survive the so called “Home sickness”.

Back in my homeland they call us “Bagong Bayani” which means new heroes, I think we are or even Saints. The struggles and challenges that we face in our jobs are so stressful that makes us older than we really are, and If you want to drink alcohol you have to have your alcohol license or at least your friend. The hardest thing for me is celibacy, I am at the peak of my youth and man's instinct is very hard to ignore. Maybe I can have an affair but what good does it bring, it will only make my life complicated..

I am just at the 1st chapter of this voyage, and a lot are in store for me, may it be good or bad I will go on. This fight is not for me alone but for my family who also long for my presence especially my young wife. This saga is not for the "half-hearted" because the longer you are away the greater the home sickness intensifies. May the love of my family carry me through this battle.

In due time I will surely reap what I am sowing right now, that's why I am planting only the good seeds so I can have the best harvest when its due.

Someday when the time has come for me to go home and stay for good, I hope my children will still look upon me as their father not just someone who came from nowhere who shares the same surname with them.

Comments

  1. You are more than welcome...

    I'll be expecting you to share your thoughts here...the site for OFW

    ReplyDelete
  2. it so sad that at one point we all have to sacrifice something for a greater good.
    i can relate totally to your story since,my whole family left abroad to work after the edsa revolution.(20 years ago)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only hope is that i don't have to spend a decade abroad just to provide for my family and stopped being a father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes misted reading your story, esp. about your little boy about ready to call you 'dada' and ... Chin up, Kuya Ronnie. You carry the love of your wife and family with you wherever you are. Sana din, you can find things to smile about in that distant place -- your work, your new friends, the new culture, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang Ganda naman po nito Sir nakalungkot pero may halong saya at least proud ka sa sarili mo kasi dahil nag punta ka dito nagsasakripisyo ka di lang para sa sarili mo kundi para sa mga taong mahal mo...nakarelate ako sir dito ah naiitak tuloy ako and i miss my family so much......more powers and GOD BLESS PO..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally sure na sa tamang gabay ng iyong minamahal na asawa, ay lalaki ang iyong dalawang anak na naiintindihan ang inyong sitwasyon, Kuya.. Maybe not so soon, kasi nga mga bata pa sila, lalo na with your youngest.. but the time will come na they'd understand.

    Ganun rin kasi ako eh. Hihi. Noong bata pa ako, naiiisip ko lang yung luho at ginhawang hatid ng pagtatrabaho ng aking ama sa abroad.. pero habang lumalaki ako, naiintindihan ko na rin ang sakripisyo at hirap na napagdadaanan ng aking ama..

    Cheer up, Kuya. God bless.. =))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Ka Ronnie, I really appreciate your visit and for taking time to share kind thoughts with the post. It's funny we have some thing in common in our story. Only difference is, you're better than me in some aspects.

    Your blog contents are amazing. No wonder you are an inspiration to others.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony I am humbled by your comments but I would appreciate your remarks wholeheartedly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5