Skip to main content

Where is Kabayan?

I am just on my second year as an OFW and I don’t know much yet but I remember I used to hear from my friend’s father who is an OFW way back during the 80’s. He talked of Kabayans proudly saying that Filipinos abroad has special kind of bond. A bond so strong that even if you don’t know the person he will surely greet you with the famous; “kumusta Kabayan?” (How are you fellow Filipino?) “Saan ka sa atin?” (Where are you from in the Philippines?) so more or less I was expecting to experience this Kabayan bond when I arrived here in Doha.

My first walk on the streets of Doha on my second day was the opposite. As I was wandering around in the neighborhood where I stay, a couple of Filipinos talking in our language so loudly came and passed by so I was so excited to know that It’s not too bad after all, I have kabayan neighbors so I look at them wearing my best smile possible and said “Kumusta Kabayan?” Instead of returning my greeting they look at each other and grinned, and as if I am a non-existing being they just continue talking loudly and I heard the phrase “bago siguro dito”.

That was so rude of them, I was so embarrassed that I decided to go back to my bed and feeling so alone with no messages on my roaming, no account yet nor SIMCARD that I can used and no friends to call… then I realized it is not as easy as it seems. On my third day Jetlag gone, excitement subsided, home sick sets in. The story of an OFW began. The long walk away from home has started and the fangs of loneliness bite every bit of me.

And now after almost two years I realized that my first encounter with my kind was just an isolated case (I hope so). When I started to work, all that is in my mind is to do my job well and provide for my family and try to live as normal as possible but there is nothing normal for an OFW. Seven more months and I will be going home to breathe the air of my province, let go all of the frustrations and hang ups that I kept inside.

Comments

  1. I'd say you were unfortunate the first two kabayans you met abroad were insensitive and arrogant. I like to think that incident was exceptional. Kahit sa mga Pinoy, klase-klase din, ano?

    But I feel with you and other kababayans who have to leave home and hearth and heart, so to speak, in order to secure the future of their families. Mabuhay kayo. I know the social costs of going away to earn dollars can be steep. But at the same time I know of families that prosper -- and not only in the economic sense -- in your situation. Sana, you and your family can make a go of it. All best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ma'am for the encouragement, when family is the motivation even the perfect storm cannot uproot me.

    And I am looking forward to that prosperity not for me but for my 2 young children. Sana di na nila kailangang lumayo para mahanap ang kanilang pangarap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nung umalis ako sa Pilipinas para magtrabaho abroad, inis na inis ako sa gobyerno natin. Sabi ko sa aking sarili "Bakit pa kasing kailangang lumayo pa ako sa Pilipinas para lang mabigyan ng magandang bukas ang pamilya ko, bakit di maibigay yun ng gobyerno?"

    Pero naisip mafrufrustrate lang ako kung patuloy akong aasa sa gobyerno. Kaya ganun na nga lang tiisin ang hirap at lungkot sa ibang bansa. At umaasang balang araw sapat na ang paghihirap at sakripisyo ko sa ibang bansa para sa magkaroon ng maginhawang pamumuhay at magkasama sama kami ng aking pamilya sa Pilipinas

    Ingat kabayan
    Drake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iyan siguro ang nais ng lahat ng OFW drake..

    Ang makapagtayo ng kabuhayan at di na kailangang mahiwalay sa mga mahal sa buhay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kuya Ronnie! Ngayon ko lang nabasa ang blog mo sa paghahanap ng magandang gawin caption na pang OFW para sa isang picture na gusto kong ipost sa Facebook ko. Mag aapat na taon na ako dito sa Qatar (2012 ako dumating dito sa Doha) at nagtatrabaho sa Telco provider. Nung bago ako dito maraming Pinoy ang mga friendly at namamansin mapa sa kalsada lang or sa mga malls.

    Actually naicompare ko pa nga dati ang mga Pinoy dito sa Doha sa mga Pinoy sa Dubai. After 6 months kasi nung dumating ako ay nakapagbakasyon agad ako sa Dubai ng 15 days at dun ko naranasan yung naranasan mo, nangamusta ako ng kabayan habang nasa Dubai Metro, ismid at irap ang natanggap ko at hindi lang isang beses nangyari sa akin yun kaya dun ko na realize na mga suplado ang mga Pinoy dun sa parteng yun ng Middle East. Naikwento ko pa nga sa mga kaibigan ko yun sa Dubai at sinabi nila na ganun daw talaga ang mga Pinoy dun lalo na yung mga de kotse at matataas ang mga sweldo. Ang sabi ko sa mga kaibigan ko noon na iba ang mga Pinoy sa Doha dahil warm and accommodating.

    Pero ngayon nakakalungkot isipin na nagiging iba na ang treatment ng mga Pinoy dito sa Doha, pakonti nalang ng pakonti ang mga Pinoy na namamansin. Di ako nag gegegeneralize pero base sa experiences ko, kapag ang Pinoy ay magandang manamit, mukhang can afford at maganda ang trabaho, yan yung the usual na mga suplado at suplada. Mas okay pa yun mga Pinoy na kakarampot lang ang sahod at hindi masyadong pinalad (sorry for the term) dahil sila pa yung palaging nakangiti at lagi mong maririnigan ng salitang "kamusta kabayan".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5