Skip to main content

Are OFWs Parents or just merely Providers?

beautiful kids
Most of my days when I am alone and have so much time to contemplate, my mind is being bombarded with questions that sometimes make me wonder “Is it all worth it?”

“Can I be a father to my children from a thousand miles away?” “Can a mother nurture a child through internet, SMS, or calls?” “Can we consider OFWs as parents or just merely providers?”

I guess I am not the only one being confronted with these questions. But are there really definite answers for these?

When I left Philippines for Qatar almost eight years ago, I brought a bag with me full of dreams, aspirations and so much optimism, I never realized that it is not as easy as I think it would be. Whenever I see a family dining together in a restaurant, envy creeps in. Whenever I see families walking around the bay area, my heart is being crushed. How I wish I could hug and kiss my children to my heart’s content, how I wish I could listen to them when they are muttering songs, hear them cry, laugh with them and see them asleep every night. These moments are passing by very fast, before you know it they are no longer children. One year away, one month with them, how can you catch up with such a short time?

When my daughter performs in her school, dancing, shouldn’t I be there? To clap and proudly shout; “That’s my girl on the stage.” Who would teach my son on how to tie his shoes? Well at least his mom is there but that should be me, he is my boy. Who would make them a kite? Mom can buy such a simple thing but it’s not about the kite, it’s the bonding moments, the frustrations of not being able to make it fly, figuring how to make it work and the joy on their faces when they finally see this “simple thing” gliding in the sky.

These simple things make up the role of a parent and it is on these moments that a child’s personality is being molded, critical time of their lives and where am I during those times? I am here far away doing what every OFW do best working and remitting money end of every month. If selflessness and self-sacrifice define a hero, I guess OFWs are worthy of being called “Bagong Bayani”.

As for me, no matter what it takes, however which way, I will still try to be a father to my children even a month once every year. I will savor every second (not minute) I am with them even if I have to stay late at night just watching them sleeping and maybe just maybe I can be with them even in their dreams.

Probably the best answer I could come up with is this “OFWs are full time providers and part time parents.” Better be like this than to have all the time in the world with them back home but not being able to provide enough for their needs and for their education.

You, yes you. What will be your answer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5