Skip to main content

Peso on the Rise



I am not an expert in Finance but there is one thing I know, the continuing appreciation of Philippine Peso over The US Dollars is affecting us OFW really bad. I have asked my wife just the other day if the prices of basic commodities back in the Philippines are declining, the answer is a big NO. Therefore I would assume that us OFW doesn't have any direct nor indirect benefits from this high value of Php.



A little bit of calculation USD 700 X Php 46.3006 = 32410.406. This calculation is based on last July 23, 2010 exchange rate. Now October 13 USD 700 X 43.335 = 30334.5 Pesos. 32410.406 - 30334.5 = 2075.906 Pesos. This difference maybe for others is just a fraction but for an average family that is a lot. It can cover the electric bills, water bills etc.

My question would be: What does the Government can do to lessen the impact of this currency trend to the Filipino Overseas Workers?

I remember before that there is an organization pushing for a USD to Php fixed rate for OFW's. I guess that's the best way for the Philippine Government to safeguard the interest of its "Goldmine" the OFW's around the world.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5...

One Car for Every OFW Tax Free

Image via Wikipedia One lazy evening my buddy Delfin, his wife and I were having coffee at a nearby coffee shop to where we live here in Qatar, it’s the usual conversation until it lead to about how difficult it is to acquire a Qatar driving license, then we turn to cars on how easy it is to own one here because banks here are so aggressively offering car loans to those who are interested even to those that are not interested. It is easier to buy a car abroad than in our country as the banks ask only of minimal requirements unlike in the Philippines where banks have their own agents to look into the credit standing of the person who is applying for a loan and sometimes even go deeper than that, as if he is some kind of a criminal being under surveillance but that’s my own observation anyway.