Skip to main content

Are You in the Right Job?

Forrest GumpImage via

Life is like a box of chocolates, you’ll never know what you gonna get” – Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks)

When we’re kids we tend to see life in a very positive manner, always trying to fast forward time so we can be adults. I envied my brothers who are working and earning money. I kept on imagining what I can buy with “lots of money” but never did I wonder how hard it is to work. Now I’m an adult working and earning money and this time I know what and how it takes to earn a living.


Do I have a choice on what job would I be in? Can I choose who would be my “boss” or employer? Maybe I can, if life isn’t that hard back home in the Philippines. I was forced to leave my family and journeyed thousand miles to look for greener pasture and ended up here in Qatar. I can say that I got lucky to be hired just one week upon arrival here on a visit visa, not all who came here that have tried to find employment were as lucky as I am. “Lucky” I did mention but what luck means is different for every individual. What is trash for someone can be gold for another and vice versa.

The front of a colourfull jeepney in Naga City...Image via Wikipedia
Working for my company for over two years now is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It is a blessing because in two years I am being able to provide a decent living for my family back home. They can now enjoy a bit of luxuries unlike when I was there working with a meagre salary. Oops! Salary I did say. What I meant was the money I earned driving a passenger jeepney wasn’t enough. Hmmm memories, memories. I still remember the first night I gone out with no experience in driving a passenger jeepney. Imagine yourself driving an improvised vehicle without all those automatic features of modern cars, not even a power steering feature with the bulky body to accommodate passengers. See yourself maneuvering, asking where passengers are going and computing change while looking for more passengers. No, that did not happen on my first night because I was too embarrassed to ask for passengers to ride, I just drove and when lucky someone will make a sign of him/her taking a ride. It was more of a test drive and I even ended up spending on diesel. Going back, a curse in a sense that I feel that I am not enjoying it even a bit.

I applied as a purchaser but was hired as a secretary and work as a sort of mechanical engineer as I dealt with equipment’s spare parts, making commissioning procedures and etc. etc. Worst thing is every time someone would go for a vacation like the document controller for example, I would cover for him and so on and so on. I became a “filler” which is so stressful, doing various jobs at the same time really tested my character and I always end up growing older at least two years in one month.

I drove a public transport not because it’s my choice but the thing is I have no choice (smile). I have a family to feed; pride is not of the matter when your kids are on the line. A degree holder holding a jeepney’s steering wheel for two years did not made me lesser of a man. Although sometimes when someone I know from school who regards me as one of his “case studies” provider can’t seem to believe that I am doing as such. I hate to admit it but my self-esteem during those times was at its lowest level but I am not saying being a driver by profession is degrading, definitely not! It was the high expectations on me by my family, friends and of course my in-laws. But then no regrets at least I was able to take care of my family without doing anything illegal. I am even contemplating of buying a jeepney when I retire and would make it the best public transport ever. So watch out folks.

White chocolate is marketed by confectioners a...Image via WikipediaIs it my choice to be in my current job now? No but again I have no option but to do the tasks that are being given to me for the sake of my family. Thus the famous quote above by Forrest Gump, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you’ll never know what you gonna get” but at least whatever flavour you’ve picked, take it, just try to appreciate it and make the best out of it. There are no certainties in life but we can always look forward to picking the right “chocolate” in time, one way or the other.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Amazing story. Nakakahanga na you chose to dump that pride to take care of your family. Truly an awesome definition of a Bagong Bayani. You didn't have to go overseas to be a Bayani for your family. They should be proud; I'm sure they're very proud of you.

    Aloha,
    Jaz
    http://filkada.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaz.. Your comment just made me more committed in trying to give the best life my family can have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazmin is really good at linking from one site to another. And it's nice to meet Ka Ronnie.

    Just like you, I also suffer the boredom of current work. But, let's face it nowadays it'a about survival that's why we need to have contingency plan for a smooth job transition just like what you're doing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony thanks, One of the best compliment I've received. Oh well, bear everything for the sake of our family...Just try to be contented with the chocolate at hand whatever the flavor.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5