Skip to main content

Doha-Manila Homebound (Balik-bayan)


Qatar-man
A year have passed, 14 months actually and in two weeks time I’ll be hearing roar of one of the noisiest engines on Earth; the airplane’s engine. A very irritating sound unless you’re inside the plane buckled up, seating comfortably and bound for home. Doha-Manila, hmmm I can almost imagine the indescribable feeling upon entering that open door while the steward is checking for your seat (hoping that it would be near the window). That excitement, the moment the plane lift its nose for takeoff; the calmness when it finally settled on its required altitude, “priceless”.


Long journey to home, 9 to 10 hours flight and I don’t even mind. For others it’s nothing, they could just sleep throughout the trip but for me, no. My mind is too stubborn; I can’t get it shut during any trip, no matter how I try. Watch movies that will do. Four movies in between meals is not a bad thing while waiting for that announcement “We are now approaching Manila”. And then the thing that I hate the most.. Landing! The excruciating pain cause by the pressure, like your head is being sucked by a vacuum and you can’t even hear yourself. Oh well, no pain no gain and the prize, worth everything.

The clanking sounds when you finally hit that steel “hall-like” way-out towards this descending concrete hallway down to the conveyor where you will wait for your luggage and those precious “pasalubong”. (my boy would surely love his new Sony PSP and my daughter her iPod music player). But these gifts are nothing compare to the love and longing I'll bring with me. The time I will be spending with them, memories that we will share, the embrace and kisses that I would excessively give my children (don’t ask about what would I do with my wife, I’ll keep it private). Did I mention filling up these forms? “Arrival” and “Custom” form. Yes I will on the plane amidst the excitement I’ll see to it, that not a petty thing will stop me from going out that door where only a thick wall separates me from my waiting family in the arrival area.

Oh! By the way if one of the custom people is reading this, please spare my luggage from scrutiny. I will not fit in a whole "appliance store" inside my trolley or my small balik-bayan box and I don’t have even half of that allowed amount of cash in my pocket so don’t hesitate to stamp my passport “pronto”.

Comments

  1. Ah, yes, that feeling that fills the heart knowing you are homebound—I can totally relate. I may not be an OFW but when I'm traveling away from home, there's this certain feeling that warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Earvs. I'm a graduating student at UP Open University. I would like to invite you as one of my participant bloggers in my MA Thesis which will focus on blogging as a platform for OFW empowerment. Should you be interested, please email me at ecabalquinto@gmail.com. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kuya ronnie. . thi very moment i am reading your blogs, and i am so very happy that people are doing these king of blogs. to be honest i am very sad now, maybe i just miss home. but reading your blog, made me realize what will happen if i go home after a year or so. Right now i am imagining what you are saying. i am also here in qatar. we might meet soon. thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mga Bagong Bayani (OFW) Ipagbunyi inyong Kadakilaan

Sa bawat daan na iyong tinahak Sa mga luha sa mata mo pumatak Sa katawan mong pagod at batak Sa pamilya mong muntik mawasak Sa bawat mga araw na lumilipas Sa yugto ng buhay mong nalalagas Sa damdamin mong nagagasgas Sa mga nagdaraang mga oras Saan ka kaya patutungo? Sino kaya ang sa luha magpapatuyo? May hahagod kaya sa katawang hapo? Manitili kayang pamilya mo ay buo? Araw na lumipas maibabalik ba? Makikita ba mga sandaling nawala? Kaya pa ba sa bigat ng iyong dala? Oras na nagdaan mapapalitan ba? Mga Bagong Bayani....Ipagbunyi inyong kadakilaan..

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5