Skip to main content

OFWs Must Pay for Their Rides Home During Emergency

So it is, OFWs keep on making the Philippine Economy afloat and as if it’s not enough, OFWs must pay so that the Philippine government can extend assistance to the distressed Filipinos working abroad. That is according to the “Idea” of Manila Rep. Ma. Theresa Bonoan-David (Para sa Emergency Repatriation Fund: OFWs, sisingilin ng $50 bago umalis).

I don’t know how many OFWs know about the OWWA fund, and I guess only a few of them have benefitted from it, in one way or the other. Personally I don’t even know where all those money are being spent except one program I came across with “OWWA LOANS".
And now this, according to “Maritess” the government must make sure that the emergency fund for the repatriation for the Overseas Workers during calamities must be sufficient. Bravo! That is a noble intent and I couldn’t agree more. But to take it from them is like telling a kid.. “Hoy bata, dadalhin kita sa peryahan kaya lang ikaw ang magbabayad ng rides mo ah?”.

Most of THE time I am not even sure if the intentions of some legislators in proposing new laws “for” OFWs is really “for” OFWs or are just mere attempts in trying to get the sympathy of OFWs and their families for political agenda. Does this legislators even know how hard it is to earn money abroad, how hard it is to serve abusive employers and go to the ‘accommodation” depressed (I cannot use “Home” because a room where you sleep cannot be called home without your love ones). Self-pity and esteem degradation is very common for OFWs.

I hope “Maritess” can join me in Starbucks to have a coffee chat so I can inform her of how it is to be an OFW. Miss Maritess whatever your intentions are, the idea is good, it’s the source of the fund that is not. Let me give you an idea on how to get the sympathy of the majority of Overseas Filipino Workers. Read this “One Car for OFW, Tax Free”. We might even collect funds for your candidacy as President of the Republic of the Philippines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loans Available for OFW

The Philippine Government particularly OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) which is the lead institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) has come up with a program which main purpose is to help and Finance some livelihood programs of OFW and their families through Financial Loans. Please see below the description and the criteria for the said program.

Are OFW's Rich?

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are not rich. We have this notion that when someone is an OFW or based abroad, he or she is loaded. Not true. An OFW might earn from P50K-P300K a month, depending on the location. Those in Saudi Arabia or the United States might earn in the high range. But to say that they're 'rich' is a fallacy (amen!). There's no place like home - Living Abroad : For some OFW's the notion maybe true but for most it's a fallacy like what the author of the article where I got the excerpt said. I have seen the plight of some unfortunate Filipinos working here in Qatar and even heard of some earning as low as QR 700.00 that is roughly Php 8,360.00. Imagine the hardships and the sacrifices it takes just to earn that meagre amount so they can send money home. I just can't imagine how they are surviving with that salary as the cost of living here is relatively higher compared to Saudi Arabia. My food allowance here ranges from QR 5...

One Car for Every OFW Tax Free

Image via Wikipedia One lazy evening my buddy Delfin, his wife and I were having coffee at a nearby coffee shop to where we live here in Qatar, it’s the usual conversation until it lead to about how difficult it is to acquire a Qatar driving license, then we turn to cars on how easy it is to own one here because banks here are so aggressively offering car loans to those who are interested even to those that are not interested. It is easier to buy a car abroad than in our country as the banks ask only of minimal requirements unlike in the Philippines where banks have their own agents to look into the credit standing of the person who is applying for a loan and sometimes even go deeper than that, as if he is some kind of a criminal being under surveillance but that’s my own observation anyway.